What is CORAD-20?
Does the word “Coronavirus” drive you crazy? Do you shiver when you hear “social distancing” or “stay-at-home”? Ease the COVID-19 community spread concerns with our “CORAD-20” adventures and activities. A term coined by our buddy @CaptureYourAdventure, CORAD-20 is a way for ColoRADans to stay strong, stay healthy, and fight anxiety and depression caused by the Coronavirus.
Many guidelines, closures, and social distancing norms are popping up around our communities and we encourage you to protect yourself and your loved ones by heeding the warnings of the CDC, state, and local health departments. However, if you choose to still be “out and about” while partaking in social (or more like physical) distancing and also the reduction of community spread, do so wisely. While UpaDowna has done it’s part to battle community spread by canceling or postponing our events, we still wanted to find a way to encourage, empower, and educate you about the outdoors (from a safe distance of course!)
It’s shown that exercising outdoors can reduce the chance of getting sick because you’re around less people, and we all know how beneficial the forest, Vitamin D, and recreating in nature can be!
If you choose to unleash your adventure:
- Find places to recreate in your own neighborhood
- Seek out less popular places to adventure
- Stay 6ft away from strangers, especially from individuals who may be sick
- Avoid touching handrails, shaking hands, or using facilities in/near the park
- Take hand sanitizer and Kleenexes, just in case
- Still continue to sneeze or cough in your inner elbow
- Wash hands well when you get home
Ways to support local businesses:
- Buy a gift card to use at a later time
- Shop online or call in
- Order delivery from local restaurants
- Order ahead and pick up later
- Spring Clean your garage and gear room, then…when stores are open…donate unwanted new and used outdoor items to Gearonimo Sports and Mountain Equipment Recyclers to help support UpaDowna
- See more tips from Downtown Colorado Springs here
- Support the Springs with this website
Try one, or many, of our CORAD-20 Activities to help easy the stress and anxiety of the coming weeks.
Activities updated frequently!
UpaDowna Related Adventures:
- Track your personal outdoor adventures in our Strava Group
- Take Freddie the Yeti on an adventure! Buy one online here to support UpaDowna!
- Tune in to our Facebook page for LIVE and recorded adventure videos
- Join in a virtual hike, cleanup, movie night or other adventures here
- Download a coloring page from our talented staff member Delina Auciello of Above the Alpine Art! Or purchase her coloring book to help support her efforts, as well as UpaDowna’s!
- Try the #UnleashYourAdventure and #CORAD20 photo scavenger hunt challenge on Facebook & Instagram!
- Take a hike! Try less populated parks/trails (be sure they are still open first), or even walks in your own county or neighborhoods (SEE MAP FOR Colorado Springs Parks/Open Spaces). Use apps like COTREX, Hiking Project, All Trails and more to find new-to-you trails.
- Buy a digital map from our friends at Pocket Pals Trail Maps
- Go for a bike ride, or grab a FREE 24 hour pass from PikeRide. Simply download the Drop Mobility app on your smart phone to set up an account and then enter the code “COVID19”
- Download this list and go bird watching
- Find a secluded spot in the forest or park near your home and draw, color, paint or work on your photography
- Grab your family and explore the Pikes Peak Region with the Family Adventure Guide!
- Do yoga in the park
- Find a spot to hang a hammock (with proper tree precautions!) or better yet, use a car stand
- Take Fido to a dog park so at least he can socialize! (Maintain social distancing)
- Use what Mother Nature gives you: go sledding if its snowing, fly a kite if it’s windy, take a walk after it rains
- Camp in the backyard with your kids
- Go on a wildflower hike
- Do the TOSC 20/20 Parks Challenge
- Try some Shinrin-yoku or “forest bathing” by relaxing in nature and just. being. still.
- Get your garden ready for spring and summer
- Play Pokemon Go with your kids (at a safe distance from others)
- Watch some sweet outdoorsy movies online
- Shop online or buy gift cards from local gear shops
- Pick up a good adventure book
- Plan future adventures
- Take online yoga classes
- Find (and cook some) some new camping recipes
- Play outdoorsy board games
- Build a pillow fort, or cardboard box castle from all the Amazon orders you’ve made!
- Create some nature crafts
- Spring Clean your garage and gear room, donate unwanted new and used outdoor items to Gearonimo Sports and Mountain Equipment Recyclers to help support UpaDowna
- Start your spring gardening with indoor plants
- Explore the world with Google Maps Treks
- Watch a LIVE nature cam from Explore.org
- Relax (and even fall asleep to) sounds of nature